Summer is incomplete without s’mores. I tend to enjoy them the traditional way – on a camping trip, sitting around an open fire, but this American treat can be enjoyed anywhere, whether at a bonfire on the beach or in your very own backyard.
The components of s’mores are simple: graham crackers, chocolate, and toasted marshmallow. Though these three ingredients combined are the definition of delicious, I’m going to show you a couple of small ways to elevate your s’mores game so that your first bite is truly an otherworldly experience.
Snacking on a plain graham cracker sans melted chocolate and gooey marshmallow isn’t my thing, which is why I’m proposing the following substitution: chocolate chip cookies.
With the chocolate chips already inside the cookie, you can introduce a new ingredient into the mix: Nutella!
Who doesn’t love Nutella? This much-beloved spread can elevate almost any dessert, and s’mores are no exception. Below is my fool-proof recipe for chocolate chip cookie Nutella s’mores – aka the most decadent campfire dessert you’ll ever eat.
Yield: 18 S’mores (32 Cookies)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups chocolate chips
- 32 marshmallows
- 1.5 cups Nutella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix flour and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl and with an electric mixer, combine butter and sugar. Mix until creamy. Then add eggs and vanilla. Slowly add in flour mixture until combined. Add chocolate chips.
- Shape dough into balls and place 2 inches apart on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper.
- Bake 9-12 minutes depending on your desired level of crunch. (9-10 minutes will result in chewier cookies, 11-12 minutes will result in crispier cookies.)
- Once you’re ready to make your s’mores, take two cookies and spread a generous helping of Nutella onto the bottom of each.
- Toast your marshmallow(s) (one or two should do it) over the fire and once finished, place between the two Nutella-covered cookies you’ve just created.
- Voila – ready to eat!
- The Real Hot Chocolate
- Chocolate Christmas Cookies