Sitting at home craving something sweet? Don’t raid the junk food cupboards! Bake something healthy and sweet instead. Try this simple vegan banana Oat recipe!
- 2 ½ cups of frozen bananas – peeled and sliced (when melted, 2 cups)
- 1 ¼ cup gluten-free flour
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp hemp hearts
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Preheat your oven to 375˚F and grab a baking tray. Line the tray with a sheet of parchment paper, then set it to the side.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, hemp hearts, sea salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Using a whisk, wooden spoon, or any spoon, mix the ingredients well!
- Time to thaw your frozen fruit. If the bananas are not already sliced, take a knife and cut them into smaller pieces, this will make it easier to blend them into the dry ingredients. Place the icy bananas in a bowl and put them in the microwave for 1-2 minutes (you want them to come out rather hot). When the bananas are warm and gooey, pour them in with the dry mix along with the olive oil and maple syrup.
- Blend all ingredients well so there is no dry dough in the bowl.
- Using a tablespoon, make small balls of dough and place them on the baking tray. Flatten them slightly, so they look like thick circles. You should be able to fit about 15 on the tray at once. This recipe will make enough dough for 20 or more depending on the size of your oat bites (As the first batch bakes, I like to prep the balls for my second batch so no time is wasted).
- Bake the oat bites for 30-40 minutes. Check them periodically to ensure they don’t burn. You want to pull out a perfect tray of puffy dark golden desserts.
Once they’ve had a chance to cool, enjoy them with a cup of tea or almond milk – they’re best when you eat them fresh and warm. Bon Appetite.