When award-winning Chef Elia Herrera, Executive Chef & partner of Los Colibris, El Caballito and Colibris, prepares a Mexican feast, her famous canola-fried glorious golden brown Churros are sure to be on the menu.
Yield: 15-20 Churros
2 tsp ground cinnamon
½ cup granulated sugar
1 cup water
1 tsp condensed milk
½ orange zest
1 tbsp canola oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 large egg
1 litre canola oil, to fry
* You’ll also need a piping bag or churro machine, and an oil thermometer
1. Mix cinnamon and sugar together in a medium bowl and set aside.
2. Combine water, condensed milk, zest and oil in a medium pot and bring to a boil.
3. Measure flour into medium bowl, pour in hot liquid. Mix. Add egg and mix until a uniform dough forms.
4. Transfer the warm dough to the churro machine or into piping bag. Pipe out strips of dough onto parchment paper.
5. Heat 1 litre of canola oil in a medium pot to 350F
6. Remove strips from parchment and fry in oil until golden-brown. Do not crowd the pot.
7. Drain fried churros on paper towels.
8. Toss drained churros in cinnamon sugar mixture and serve warm.