Studies have shown that cannabis edibles in Canada could be worth $2.7 billion a year once legalization has taken effect.
During the first phase of cannabis legalization, inventory challenges were presented. Canada was not quite ready for the influx of demand for the product. Now with the legalization of edible cannabis products soon to be upon us, Canada has increased production. A sufficient amount of inventory will be required to launch the new cannabis products properly.
Homemade Cannabis-Infused Foods
Currently, it is legal to produce your own homemade cannabis-infused foods and treats. However, it is illegal to sell them.
Proposed Government Regulations
Canada is proposing a series of what some consider strict rules for the sale of cannabis edibles.
- Canada’s proposed Federal rules stipulate the maximum amount of THC per serving of foods is 10 milligrams. This is a low to moderate amount of the psychoactive ingredient of the cannabis substance.
- These servings must be individually wrapped. Canada’s rules are much stricter than in the United States. The United States is permitted to put several servings in one package.
- Canada’s proposed rules also include a limited amount of caffeine in the pot-infused edibles.
- There can be no alcohol included with THC in the edibles.
- Packaging of the products must be plain and child-resistant.
- The edibles cannot be in the form of candy or dessert. This is to help protect the products from being appealing to children and underaged teens.
- Cannabis products cannot be manufactured in facilities where other food products are made.
- There will be warning messages and standardized symbols placed on the products containing THC.
However, due to over 7,000 responses to Health Canada regarding the proposed regulations, they are going to review the responses and make some considerations.
The Black Market
One concern Canada has is due to the strict regulations; more people will turn to the illicit market. Within the illicit market, people can buy these products with a higher THC potency. Candy items and desserts infused with cannabis are also available and for a much lower price. The black market sells cannabis $3 per gram cheaper, according to Statistics Canada.
The High Effects of Cannabis-Infused Foods
When people first try edible marijuana, they expect to receive the same high effects as if they smoked it. However, edibles take much longer to give a high effect. Some people just keep eating them because they cant feel the high right away.
When will Cannabis Edibles be Available?
Marijuana edibles are expected to become legal on October 17, 2019. However, the cannabis edibles are not expected to hit the shelves until mid-December 2919. Cannabis product producers must notify Health Canada 60 days before selling new products. Applications will not be accepted until after October 17, 2019. This, coupled with authorized retailers and distributors required time to attain these products, slows down the immediate availability upon legalization. At the beginning of seeing these retail THC edible products, selections, and inventory could be quite low.
What You Need to Know About Consuming Cannabis Edibles
Here are a few tips for consuming these new types of cannabis foods.
- When you are first introducing yourself to cannabis edibles, always start with a low dose. Look for items containing 2.5 milligrams of THC or lower.
- Try out the product and wait to see what happens and how it affects you before consuming more. Sometimes it can take up to almost 4 hours to feel the full effects. Ingesting more within this period could cause a trip to seek medical attention.
- Always keep the THC edibles out of reach of children and away from pets.
- Do not operate heavy equipment or motorized vehicles; this includes watercraft vehicles.
- It is much safer to purchase these products through authorized retailers as you will always know the full ingredients.
- When purchasing these items through the black market, there can be other life-threatening substances in the products.
CannabisFoods as a Health Treatment
Marijuana has been used for medicinal purposes in Ancient China and India for many years. Western Medicine adapted this form of treatment in the early 19th century.
Digestive disorders, chronic pain, stress relief
.Today medicinal, edible marijuana products are becoming more popular and accepted in the medical field as a form of treatment for many ailments. Some of those ailments include digestive disorders, anxiety, chronic pain, and cancer-related issues.
THC can often induce feelings of relaxation. Eating some of the edible marijuana products can help some with increasing their appetite, especially during radical cancer treatments. These cannabis edible products are also prescribed for treating many digestive issues along with neurological disorders. Some people also find it helpful as a sleep aid.
Here is a great cannabutter recipe to use in many baked goods.
You will need 6 grams of marijuana and 1 pound of unsalted butter.
The process takes approximately 2 hours.
- Step 1 – heat oven to 250 degrees.
- Step 2 – spread marijuana out evenly on a baking sheet.
- Step 3 – bake marijuana for approximately 35-40 minutes
- Step 4 – Remove from oven to cool
- Step 5 – Grind marijuana into a coarse powder
- Step 6 – Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Step 7 – Add marijuana powder to melted butter for approximately 45 min.
- Step 8 – Remove from heat and allow to sit undisturbed for 10 min.
- Step 9 – Strain infused butter through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl
Covered and refrigerated cannabutter will keep for up to 8 weeks.
Always make sure when baking with cannabutter to divide the total amount of TCH with the number of servings in each recipe.
Weed Milk Recipe
A great way to start your day with cereal.
For this recipe, you will need 6 grams of marijuana and 2 cups of whole milk or heavy cream to make 2 servings. This recipe takes 2 hours.
- Step 1 – Heat oven to 250 degrees
- Step 2 – spread marijuana evenly on a baking sheet
- Step 3 – Bake marijuana for 35-40 min.
- Step 4 – Remove from oven and allow to cool
- Step 5 – Grind dried marijuana into a coarse powder
- Step 6 – Heat milk or cream in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Step 7 – Add the marijuana powder and simmer for 45 min.
- Step 8 – Allow to sit undisturbed for 10 minutes
- Step 9 – Strain mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl
Covered and refrigerated the cannabis milk will keep for up to 8 weeks.
Some may like the idea of cannabis edibiles and some may not but every indication is they are coming to Canada and will be here to stay.