1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Line a 9×13 baking pan with tin foil and grease lightly with non-stick spray
3. In a large bowl combine flour and icing sugar
4. Add butter cubes and mix with pastry cutter or your hands until pea-sized butter pieces remain. (Note: Mixture should hold together. If too crumbly add more butter; if too sticky add more flour.)
5. Pour flour mixture into prepared pan and press down to form a crust
6. Bake at 350F for 10 minutes
7. To prepare filling, place butter in large glass bowl and melt in microwave
8. Whisk in brown sugar
9. Whisk in eggs and vinegar
10. Stir in raisins (optional)
11. Remove crust from the oven.
12. Spread filling over baked crust.
13. Return to oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, until filling is set.
14. Cool to room temperature before slicing.
If you love butter tarts as much as I do, make sure to check out Kawartha’s North Humberland Butter Tart Tour. They have over 50 stops, and enough samples for every kind of sweet tooth. Check out their website for more details at Butter Tart Tour.