Do you ever have frozen bananas just sitting in your freezer? So many, that you don’t even know what to do with them? Although banana bread is a great option, sometimes you want something quick, healthy, protein-packed and of course, delicious.
I did some thinking last time I decided to make something with frozen bananas. Using all my favourite ingredients including oatmeal, peanut butter, chocolate, bananas, and more, I came up with these wonderful Banana Protein Balls!
-1/2 cup peanut butter/ no-nut butter (I like the Kraft Natural PB)
-3/4 cup – 1 cup rolled oats (I like Bob’s Red Mill rolled oats)
-1 tbsp. honey
-1 tbsp. coconut oil
-2 ripe bananas (mashed) (if you use frozen bananas, make sure to let them defrost and remove excess water)
-Chocolate chips- as much as you want! It can be added into the mix or melted for dipping!
(I like using dairy, soy, nut and gluten-free chocolate- this is great especially if you have friends or loved ones with allergies)
-Optional: 1 scoop or more (to your discretion) of any protein powder
*I encourage you to try the above quantities, but also add any ingredients you want more of as you please! (I tend to add a bit more peanut butter because I love the flavour, and chocolate because I am a chocolate addict!)
Prep time: 5-10 minutes to put together, 1 hour in the fridge (in the bowl). Roll into balls, cook on 350 degrees F for 8 minutes.
- In a medium size bowl, mix the oats, peanut butter, coconut oil, honey and banana. Place the bowl in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll the batter into balls, and place on parchment paper on a cooking tray.
- Place in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Optional- melt chocolate for dipping the balls. Make sure to wait an hour to allow them to cool down.
- Once they have been dipped in the chocolate, keep the balls on a parchment-lined tray in the fridge or freezer.
A gluten-free, nutrient dense, and flavoursome snack that is perfect to leave in your freezer or fridge and enjoy at any time of the day! I urge you to try this special, healthy treat next time you need to use up your frozen bananas and extra oats!
- Gluten Freedom
- Seven Ingredients for the Perfect Vegan Pancakes
- Gluten-Free Cauliflower Pizza Crust Recipe