Have you ever thought why doctors suggest to include a low carb diet in our routine? A low carb diet is simply a diet with a low amount of carbohydrates in it.
But is really opting for a low-carb diet worth it?
A low-carb diet comes with a lot of health benefits starting from weight loss to reducing the effects of metabolic syndrome. Intake of low carb diet includes food items such as fish, eggs, chicken breast, coconut oil, olive oil, green vegetables, apple, blueberries, strawberries, plain Greek yogurt, nuts, and seeds.
Let’s see 5 essential reasons for ‘Why opting for a low-carb diet is worth it?
- Weight loss– The first reason behind switching to a low-carb for most of the people is weight loss. As you know, the extra amount of fat or weight in your body can bring a lot of diseases such as diabetes, so it is always advised to maintain your weight. Intake of a low-carb can help you in achieving this goal and the reason behind this is, that a high carb diet will help your body in producing energy by burning the carbohydrates but a low-carb diet can help you to get energy by burning your excess amount of body fat. It has been scientifically confirmed that switching to a low carb diet can help you in reducing your weight rapidly.
- Preventing chronic diseases– The other benefit of a low-carb diet is that it helps in reducing the insulin level by throwing away the extra amount of water from your body. Reduction of sugar level and demand for insulin in your body can help you to prevent chronic diseases like type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular diseases. The person suffering from diabetes can also switch to a low carb diet which can reduce the risks of the disease. A play of a low carb diet can also help in preventing diseases like cancer, dementia, and heart diseases.
- Reduce appetite – Intake of a low carb diet can help you in reducing your craving for more food, in other words, it can help you to reduce your appetite. A healthy and right amount of diet can bring a lot of health benefits. It has been scientifically proven that intake of a healthy low carb diet can help the person in reducing the craving of more food thus lowering the chances of many health diseases.
- Good for heart – Another benefit of having a low carb diet is that it can help you in reducing the risk of many heart diseases. It helps in increasing the amount of good cholesterol in your body which is also known as HDL and also decreases triglycerides thus reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease. A high amount of triglycerides which are nothing but fat molecules and bad cholesterol known as LDL can increase the chances of heart diseases and therefore it is medically advised to have a low-carb diet in order to prevent these types of diseases.
- Metabolic syndrome – A low-carb diet is also popular to work effectively against metabolic syndrome. A patient with metabolic syndrome can show a group of symptoms including high blood pressure, high triglycerides, high sugar level, excess amount of fat, and abdominal obesity, and they are known to increase the risk of heart diseases, type-2 diabetes, and stroke. It has been seen that people suffering from metabolic syndrome are increasing but one can reduce the chances of this disease by having a low-carb diet. If you are suffering from any of the above symptoms then it does not mean that you are dealing with Metabolic Syndrome but it is good to switch to a low-carb diet in order to reduce any risk in the future.
Above discussed are just 5 reasons for ‘Why opting a low carb diet’ is important, but there are various other benefits also such as it reduces blood pressure, helps in treating epilepsy, reduces acne, improves cholesterol, reduces-reactive protein, blood sugar and insulin level in the body, etc.
Switching to a low carb diet is good but there should be a limit also as it can have temporary side effects such as headache, weakness, muscle ache, constipation, skin rash, etc. So, it is advised to go for a low carb diet but does not eliminate the intake of carbs from your diet completely.